A Statement from CERI Board President on the Russian Invasion of Ukraine
February 24, 2022
As 24/7 news cycles cover the Russian invasion of Ukraine, one thing you’ve likely not heard mentioned is that Moldova would most assuredly also fall – and quickly.
This small, former Soviet Bloc country neighboring Ukraine is among the poorest in Europe and a hotbed for human trafficking. Its armed forces are no match for the Russian military, and an unrecognized, breakaway pro-Russian region – called Transnistria – has existed since Moldova’s formation.
Even after 30 years of independence, Moldovans still feel the consequences of Russia’s influence in every aspect of their lives. But that doesn’t mean we are sitting idly by and waiting for Russian hostilities to boil over.
CERI is well-prepared to support and protect our Moldovan staff and the children and families we serve.
CERI has moved swiftly to provide the following:
- An emergency plan is in place should staff and the families we serve need immediate evacuation
- Advanced per diem payments have been provided to staff and the the families we serve
- Satellite phones and power supplies have been provided to staff as well as emergency food and water supply to staff and the families we serve
- Contact with the US Embassy to ensure up-to-date information
As a CERI supporter, you may be wondering what you can do to help. Here are some suggestions:
- PRAY Pray for protection of the already vulnerable children we serve, and our caring staff who carry out this important work. And – perhaps most importantly – pray for peace.
- SPONSOR Help us ensure every child has a line of support, no matter what challenges may come their way.
- WRITE If you already sponsor a child in Moldova, write an encouraging letter to them. Share uplifting messages or other joyful stories that help them stay focused on their own personal goals.
As President of the CERI Board, my final thought is this: The wellbeing and safety of our staff and their families, as well as the children and families we serve in Moldova are important. We will do everything to ensure their protection should fighting and destruction reach this vulnerable nation.
CERI will remain highly vigilant and engaged during this tense time. I thank you for your support of our Moldovan brothers and sisters.
May God bless you all and May God bless the children and families we serve.
CERI Board President